Tsakhkadzor House of Writers
Հայերեն  |  Русский  |  English





               About Tsakhkadzor

The name of the town of Tsakhkadzor (In Armenian: The Gorge of Flowers) comes from the name of the Tsakhkunyats mountains. The original name of the town is Tsakhkotsadzor. In the early medieval period the region belonged to the Varajnuni family who were managing Armenian King Arshak’s resorts and hunting territories in the 4th and 5th century. In the 6th century the district was taken over by Kamsarakan family. Starting from the 10th century the Kamsarakan family is known as the Pahlavunis, group of families stemming from the ancient Armenian royal family. Gregory Magister Pahlavuni, who became the leader of the family and the Duke of Kecharuyk since year 1045, decides to build a monastery in year 1033 and names it after Gregory the Enlightener, forming the famous Kecharis monastery. In year 1051 he built the second church, the St. Nishan.
The Tsakhkunyats region reached the peak of its economic and cultural development in 13th-14th century, under the rule of governors from the Zaqaryan family. Tsakhkadzor was then conquered by the Khaghbakyan and Proshyan family of governors. Vasak Khaghbakyan restored the St. Nishan church and built the St. Katoghike church in years 1203-1214. The latter, built by architect Vetsik, is the most magnificent church in the Kecharis monastery. The second construction built by architect Vetsik is the St. Astvatsatsin chapel. The St. Harutyun church was built also during the same time period. 
The notes from   17th    century indicate that all   churches and chapels of the monastery were preserved. However starting from the 17th century the region was invaded by Turkish and Kurdish conquerors who then rename Tsakhkadzor into Gharachichagh. Most of the 18th century is then taken over by numerous Turkish-Persian wars which mainly takes place on the territory of Eastern Armenia. Finally in year 1828 the Turkmenchai treaty joins the Gharachichagh region to Yerevan region under the Russian Empire. In 1877-78, after one of the Russian-Turkish wars, thousands of settlers arrive at Gharachichagh from the towns of Khnus, Basen and Bagrevand During the Soviet years Gharachichagh preserved and developed its tourist facilities. Many of the historical buildings, which were built as summer houses by the industrial and merchant families from Yerevan and Tbilisi before the Soviet rule, got nationalized by the state or were sold on auction. 
According to the decree of the Soviet Supreme Council, Gharachichagh was then renamed back into Tsakhkadzor in 1947.The  modern t  own of Tsakhkadzor is   situated in the Kotayk   region of contemporary Armenia, 5 kilometers north-west from the regional capital Hrasdan. The distance to the town from yerevan is 58 kilometers. Current population is 2000, predominantly Armenians.
The town of Tsakhkadzor is situated on the south-eastern side of the Tsakhkunyats mountains at the altitude of 1700-1850 meters from the sea level. The highest peaks of the area are the mount Teghenis (summit: 2820 meters) and mount Tsaghkunyats (summit: 2851 meters). The river Tsakhkadzor crosses Tsakhkadzor town from west to east, flowing into river Marmarik, one of the branches of Hrazdan river.